With the football and holiday season looming here are some things you might want to know:
Pure, distilled liquor, even if made from wheat, barley, or rye, is considered gluten-free! Most liquors are safe for people with celiac disease because of the distillation process.
“Because distillation removes protein if good manufacturing practices are followed, and because it is possible to verify the absence of protein or protein fragments in these products using scientifically valid analytical methods, The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), will permit “gluten-free” claims on distilled products from gluten-containing grains as long as good manufacturing practices are followed to prevent the introduction of any gluten-containing material into the final product,” according to the TTB.
However, be on the lookout for hidden gluten in liquors that add flavorings or other additives after distillation. There is also a risk for gluten cross-contact in facilities that process products containing wheat, barley, or rye.
Though we do not promote the drinking of alcoholic beverages it is nice to know that if you choose to you may be able to have that Old Fashioned or spiked Eggnog without the worry of whether or not it contains gluten.
Pure Distilled Gluten-Free liquor brands include:
- Absinthe – Pernod, Redux, La Clandestine, St. George, Leopold Brothers, Vieux Pontarlier, Nouvelle-Orléans
- Brandy – Old Admiral, Dreher, Emperador, Paul Masson Grande Amber, Torres, Old Kenigsberg
- Bourbon – Jim Beam, Evan Williams, Knob Creek, Wild Turkey, Old Crow, Maker’s Mark, Four Roses, Bulleit, Basil Hayden’s
- Cognac – Hennessy, Martell Noblige, Francois Peyrot, De Luze, Braastad, Remy Martin, Courvoisier
- Gin – Hendrick’s, Bombay Sapphire, Beefeater, Gordon’s, Tanqueray, Seagram’s, Larios, Gin Mare
- Liqueur – Kahlua, Jagermeister, Disaronno, Southern Comfort, De Kuyper (Triple Sec and other brands), Malibu, Baileys, Grand Marnier
- Mezcal – Casamigos, Del Maguey, Montelobos, Monte Alban, El Buho, Alipus San Juan del Rio, El Silencio, Dos Hombres
- Rum – Havana Club, Captain Morgan, Bacardi, Tanduay, Barceló, Mount Gay
- Scotch – Johnnie Walker, Ballantine’s, Chivas Regal, J&B, Dewar’s, Grant’s, Bell’s, White Horse
- Tequila – Patrón, Jose Cuervo, Don Julio, Cabeza, Sauza, 1800, Familia Camarena, Hornitos
- Vermouth – Martini & Rossi, Cinzano, Noilly Prat, Carpano, Dolin, Gallo Tribuno
- Vodka – Absolut, Tito’s, Smirnoff 90 Proof Vodka, Stolichnaya (now available in gluten-free), Grey Goose, Three Olives, Burnett’s, Ketel One, Svedka, New Amsterdam
- Whiskey/Whisky – Jack Daniel’s, Crown Royal, Fireball, Jameson, Seagram’s 7, Black Velvet, Johnnie Walker, Chivas Regal, Southern Comfort, Dewar’s