Makes about 15
- 3 packages of Snackin’ Free 6-inch tortillas
- Any high heating oil for frying: avocado oil, coconut oil, organic palm shortening, duck fat, lard
- 13 x 9 baking dish
For the filling:
- 8 to10 ounces of shredded cooked chicken, (I like to use the whole chicken)
- 1 – 8-ounce container of Kite HiIl Dairy Free Cream Cheese (if you need to be nut free you can use Daiya Brand Cream Cheese)
- 2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup, finely diced cherry tomatoes (or you can use canned organic diced tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup diced, fresh, or roasted hatch chilies (or you can use two cans of hatch roasted chilis)
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped chives or green onions
- 2 teaspoon (or more) of Spice Hunter salt-free Mexican seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Snackin’ Free Ranch Dressing
- Fresh made Pico de Gallo (recipe below), freshly chopped cilantro and I use Kite Hill Ricotta but you can use any dairy free cheese product.
- Add all ingredients, except salt and pepper, to a large bowl and mix by hand or in the bowl of a mixer until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat tortillas in a frying pan.
- Fill each tortilla with about 2 tablespoons of filling. Make sure not to overfill as this may weaken the tortilla.
- Roll the filling in the tortilla like a cigar and place seam side down on a sheet pan until ready to cook. Repeat this step until all the tortillas are filled. (Remember the filling is completely cooked so at this point if you want to freeze them and cook them later you can. Just make sure you wrap them in an airtight container and thaw in the refrigerator thoroughly before frying.)
- At this time you will want to preheat a frypan with 1 to 1 1/2 inch of oil.
- Place each flauta, seam side down into preheated oil (be sure not to overcrowd the pan as this will lower the temperature of the oil.)
- Cook each Flautas until golden brown on both sides, this will go very quickly, remember the filling is already cooked.
- Transfer Flautas with tongs to a cooling rack or paper towel-lined pan to drain any extra oil.
- To serve, place Flautas on a platter and drizzle with Snackin’ Free Ranch Dressing and top with Fresh Pico de Gallo, any Dairy Free Cheese, and Fresh Chopped Cilantro.
Pico de Gallo
- 3 fresh vine ripe organic tomatoes diced
- 2 organic Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 medium organic yellow onion diced
- 3 – 4 cloves organic garlic minced
- 1 or more fresh organic Jalapeño peppers minced with seeds removed
- Juice of 1/2 organic lemon
- 1/4 cup organic tomato sauce
- Salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, let sit for about an hour or so to meld the flavors.
- Serve and enjoy.