- 2 cups coconut milk.
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- Peel of a lemon or lime
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cups sugar
- You’ll need a baking pan for this recipe, a cake or pie pan works just fine. You’ll also need a larger pan or pot as a water bath to cook the Flan in the oven.
- Preheat your oven to 350º
- Place the 3/4 cup of sugar into a saucepan with 1 tsp of water, heat over medium heat until sugar melts and turns a caramel color. Being careful, pour into the pan you’ll use for baking and swirl around the sides to cover with the caramel. Set aside to cool
- Place the milk, citrus peel, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil turn it off and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, place eggs yolks, and whites in a bowl and beat until frothy then add to the cooled milk mixture and stir until well blended
- Pour the Flan mixture into the pan with the caramel, cover with foil, and place in the other pan. Fill the larger pan with water enough to cover halfway up the custard pan. This should be done when you are fully ready to cook the custard you must then transfer everything carefully to the oven.
- Bake at 350º for 25 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a smooth knife into the center of the flan. If it comes out smoothly and cleans your Flan is done.
- Cool for a few hours up to overnight and turn out onto a platter.
You can add a little spice to your Flan and change things up by adding:
- Egg Nog Flan – add 2 tsp pumpkin spice to the milk mixture. Follow remaining directions.
- Chocolate Flan – add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the milk mixture. Follow remaining directions.
- Coffee Flan – add 2 – 4 tablespoons of organic coffee powder to the milk mixture. Follow remaining directions.