Benedict: Eggs can be poached and chilled up to 2 days before serving. *Makes 4 servings*
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 White or Wheat style bread rolls of your choice, halved
- 16 slices smoked salmon or Canadian bacon (can use turkey, Proscuitto, or other deli-style meat)
- 2 tablespoons minced chives or finely chopped green onion
- ½ cup butter flavored palm shortening or ghee
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika (optional)
- Sea salt
- Fill a medium bowl halfway with warm water.
- Fill a 4-quart saucepan halfway with water, stir in white vinegar and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Break each egg into a small dish. Slide one egg into a saucepan and immediately push the white around the yolk with a slotted spoon to form an oval shape.
- Poach the eggs for 2 minutes for runny yolks, or 3 to 4 minutes for firm yolks.
- Immediately transfer poached egg to bowl with warm water. Repeat with remaining eggs. (Multiple eggs can be poached at the same time, however for more perfect eggs, poaching 1 to 2 eggs at a time is recommended.)
- To serve, lift eggs from the warm water with a slotted spoon, one egg at a time, and dab the back of the spoon onto a double layer of paper towels to drain off the excess water, trim any rough edges if desired.
- ** Eggs can be poached and chilled up to 2 days before serving.
- Melt the shortening or ghee in a small saucepan until very hot.
- Combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, and cayenne or paprika in the base of a blender.
- Blend the egg yolk mixture until it lightens in color, about 30 seconds.
- With the blender running, slowly pour in the hot butter until the sauce is creamy.
- If the sauce is too thick, thin with a little water or additional lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt.
- Split the bread of choice and divide between 4 plates, top each with 2 slices of smoked salmon, Canadian bacon, or ham and then a poached egg, spoon hollandaise over each egg and garnish with minced chives.
- Serve immediately.