This tasty eggnog-like drink can be enjoyed with or without the alcohol.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp honey (optional)
- 4 tbsp vanilla (or the seeds of one vanilla pod)
- 1/2 cup Alcohol of choice
- Whisk together the yolks, condensed milk, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Place the bowl over a pot (double boiler) of simmering water on medium-low heat (the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water), and cook, whisking continuously until it has thickened and is hot to the touch.
- This should be a temperature of 70 C (160 F). Be patient, depending on the heat this can take a while (just don’t let it get too hot or the eggs will scramble, if this happens you can strain the liquid over a fine sieve or wire mesh strainer or through layers of cheesecloth to get the cooked egg bits out).
- Whisk in the booze.
- Funnel it into a bottle and store it in the fridge overnight or longer to meld the flavors.
- Top with a sprinkle of nutmeg and serve.
The amount of alcohol is also up to you. The best way to do this is to add the alcohol in stages while having a little nip to test it out.
German Mulled Wine
- 1 bottle (750 ml) fruity red wine
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cup honey, agave, sugar, or another sweetener
- 1 medium orange, sliced
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- Optional garnishes: Orange slices, star anise, and additional cinnamon sticks
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 6 ingredients.
- Place remaining spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth.
- Gather corners of the cloth to enclose spices; tie securely with string. Place in pan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat; simmer gently, covered, 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a covered container; cool slightly.
- Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Strain wine mixture into a large saucepan, discarding fruit and spice bag; reheat.
- Serve warm. Garnish as desired