- 1 – 2 pack of gluten-free/paleo crust of your choice
- 6 – 8 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (I used 1/2 granny smith and 1/2 sweeter apples such as honey crisps or fuji)
- 1/2 cup packed coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening, melted
- In a medium bowl, mix together apples and coconut sugar.
- Place into one pie crust (set aside the second one for the top).
- Drizzle with melted butter-flavored shortening.
- Place top pastry over filling; trim overhanging edge.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Make cuts through the top crust for ventilation.
- Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strips of foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the crust is deep golden brown, removing foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Cool completely.
** for an extra special treat add 3 tablespoons maple syrup to the filling and drizzle 3 Tablespoons over the top of the pie before you bake.
** Add 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon to filling mix for a cinnamon apple pie.