Fall is a great time for new veggies to come around – spaghetti squash, Brussels sprouts, and sweet potatoes. We love sweet potatoes even though most of our family eats them one time of year with a bunch a marshmallows melted on top of them…but we like to bring new things to the table and I think we’ve almost converted them. Sweet potatoes are also lower on the glycemic index, so they won’t spike your blood sugar as much as a regular potato. We’ve tried making sweet potato fries for the last 2 years with no such luck…but after trying over and over again to make the perfect sweet potato (yam) fries, we finally figured out our mistake. Each and every time we make them we cut them in small strips thinking they would get crispier that way….Nope! they would either burn or still be soft. Then to our amazement we make sweet potato wedges one night and cut the sweet potato into larger wedges instead of small strips – we cooked them for approximately the same time at the same temperature and they came out nice and crispy on the outside with the perfect softness inside. See our recipe below to create this easy side dish for your family.
So the first think we did is pickup some sweet potatoes that were roughly a similar size and we prefer the longer ones as opposed to a more round/ball shape. Then we scrubbed them clean to get all the dirt off. We prefer to leave the skin on but you could peel it off if that is your preference – we like the extra crunch. After cleaning we cut them in half then placed the flat side down and cut the half into wedges about 4 per side depending on the size of the potato – small ones will probably only get about 3 per half side.
After we have all the potatoes cut into wedges we place the wedges is a dish and drizzle avocado oil over the top – then get your hands in there and toss the potatoes making sure they all get some oil. We then season the potatoes with chopped rosemary, pepper, salt, and a little cayenne – keep tossing them so that the seasonings coat all of them. Take out a baking sheet and line it with foil then place each on the sheet about a half inch away from each other. Then place them in the oven and bake them for about 40 mins – flipping them half way through.
Perfectly Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges Recipe
- 3-4 Sweet Potatoes
- 1/3 cup Avocado Oil
- Dash Cayenne
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line baking sheet with foil
- Wash Sweet Potatoes
- Cut sweet potatoes in half, lay on flat side then slice each side into 3 or 4 wedges
- Place sweet potato wedges in a bowl or dish and drizzle the avocado oil over the top
- Toss the wedges in the avocado oil making sure they are all covered evenly
- Mix all the seasonings in a bowl – then season the wedges as you keep tossing them to make sure they all are evenly seasoned
- Place wedges on the baking sheet about 1/2″ apart
- Roast in the oven for approximately 40 minutes or until browned and crispy – recommended to flip half way though baking
- Enjoy with some homemade ketchup or Snackin’ Free Ranch Dressing