A good-old-fashioned paleo caramel apples recipe that is simple, Paleo and oh so delicious. This recipe can be used in may different ways from candy to caramel sauce.
- 8 – 10 medium green apples or approximately
- 4 – 5 medium apples (if you’d like to double dip them)
- Wooden sticks – one per apple
- 1 cup plain or butter flavored organic and sustainable palm shortening (available at Snackin’ Free)
- 2 cups maple sugar (available at Snackin’ Free)
- 1 cup liquid sweetener: Fruit Sweet, Honey, or Maple syrup (available at Snackin’ Free)
- Dash salt
- 14 ounces of sweetened condensed coconut milk (available at Snackin’ Free)
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (available at Snackin’ Free)
- In a large Pot boil enough water to dip apples in. Dip Apples into Boiling water in order to remove wax, remove quickly, and dry. OR You can wash and dry apples. Insert a wooden stick into each apple and place into the refrigerator to cool.
- Line a sheet pan with Parchment paper and slightly oil the parchment
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine shortening, maple sugar, liquid sweetener, and salt. Cook, while stirring frequently, over medium heat until mixture comes to a low boil. This will take approx. 10 – 12 minutes. *Remember to stir frequently so the liquid does not burn on the bottom
- Stir in condensed coconut milk and continue cooking and stirring until a candy thermometer reaches a hardball stage of 248º F. *NOTE: for a softer caramel use a lower temp of 235º F.
- Remove mixture from the heat; stir in vanilla. Be sure to stand back when adding the vanilla because it steams and bubbles until it is well incorporated into the mixtures.
- Dip apples into hot caramel sauce and turn until evenly coated. Scrape excess caramel from the bottom of the apples. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate 1 – 2 hours.
To DOUBLE – DIP
Reheat remaining caramel and repeat dipping directions.
While the caramel is still hot, garnish with chopped nuts, candies, mini chocolate chips, shredded coconut, crushed cookies, or melted chocolate, etc… as desired.
STORE, SERVE, & SHARE
To Store: let Caramel Apples cool completely, then store decorated apples in the refrigerator.
To Serve: let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving to allow caramel to soften.